Serves: 4 servings
- 4 bone in skin on chicken thighs (medium sized)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 and ½ cups of short grain rice
- 3 and ½ cups of chicken broth
- 2 and ½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 and ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a large deep skillet on the stove over medium high heat. Add the broccoli and ½ cup water to the pan. Cook the broccoli, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and crisp tender, about 4-5 minutes.Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the broccoli from the pan and set aside; remove any excess water from the pan.
- Heat the oil in the pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down, and cook until the chicken is a deep golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Flip the chicken and repeat the process with the other side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add the onion. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add the rice, cooking for 1 minute. Place the chicken back into the pan.
- Pour in the chicken broth and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the pan and place it in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes or until liquid has absorbed and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken on a serving plate, cover with foil. Stir the broccoli and cheese into the rice mixture and place it back in the oven. Cook for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Place the broccoli cheddar rice on the platter alongside the chicken. Garnish with parsley (optional) and serve.
(Visited 43 times, 1 visits today)