- Makes 8 serving .
- 12ounces bulk Italian or pork sausage or ground beef
- 1cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 114 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 18 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (optional)
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 6dried lasagna noodles
- 1beaten egg
- 115 ounce container ricotta cheese or 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese, drained
- 1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- For sauce, in a large saucepan cook sausage, onion, and garlic until meat is brown. Drain.
Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds (if desired), and black pepper into meat mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook noodles for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.
- For filling, combine egg, ricotta, and the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce over the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer half of the cooked noodles in the bottom of the dish, trimming or overlapping as necessary to fit. Spread with half of the filling. Top with half of the remaining meat sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. If desired, sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over top.
- Place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
- Prepare as above through step 5. Cover unbaked lasagna; chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake about 20 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- QUICK LASAGNA:
Substitute 6 no-boil lasagna noodles (one-third of a 9 ounce package) for the regular lasagna noodles and skip step 3. Omit the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and pepper. For sauce, stir a 26-ounce jar pasta sauce into the browned meat mixture. Do not simmer. Continue as directed in step 4.
Nutritional Info :
- Per serving: 441 kcal cal., 22 g fat (11 g sat. fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 8 g monounsatured fat), 97 mg chol., 658 mg sodium, 33 g carb., 2 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 24 g pro. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Original recipe & image from :http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Lasagna-997918