Low–Carb Egg Muffins with Ham, Cheese, and Green Bell Pepper; gluten-free, South Beach Diet
- Makes 12 medium-sized muffins
- 2 cups finely diced ham (or slightly less if preferred)
- 1 1/3 cups finely grated cheese (I use Costco Four Cheese Mexican Blend)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds and stem cut away and finely diced
- 3-4 thinly sliced green onions (optional, but recommended)
- 15 eggs, beaten well
- 1-2 tsp. Spike seasoning (or use any seasoning blend that is good with eggs)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray silicone baking cups with nonstick spray.
- Dice ham and green pepper and slice green onions. In the bottom of the the baking cups layer the ham, green pepper, green onions and cheese, dividing each equally among the 12 baking cups.
- Break eggs into a bowl or large measuring cup that has a pour spout, then beat eggs and Spike Seasoning with a fork until they are well combined. Pour eggs over the other ingredients until the muffin cups are nearly full, but not quite reaching the top. (I pour some egg in each cup, let it settle, and then pour more until the cup is nearly full.) Take a small fork and gently “stir” to distribute the ingredients in the egg mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set and starting to brown slightly. (The last few years I’ve been liking them more browned, but if you don’t like them as brown as I do I would start checking after 22 minutes.)
- Egg muffins will keep well in the refrigerator for at least a week. I have frozen them, but the frozen ones release liquid when they are microwaved, so now I prefer to just store them in the fridge. To reheat, microwave 45-60 seconds. (Don’t cook too long in the microwave or they get rubbery.
(Visited 1,076 times, 1 visits today)