- 1 cup flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons + ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-2 tablespoons red food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1¾ cup hot water*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9″ pie plate (it will be very full, so if you have something slightly bigger feel free to use that instead).
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, oil and food coloring if desired until smooth. Spread into prepared pan — it will be thick! Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar and ¼ cup cocoa powder. Sprinkle over cake batter in pan — DO NOT STIR. Top with hot water — DO NOT STIR.
- Place pie plate on an old baking sheet (in case it bubbles over) and bake for 35 minutes until top is dry and puffed — the sauce underneath will be runny (see notes). Let sit 10-15 minutes to thicken before serving warm with ice cream.
(Visited 14 times, 1 visits today)