These delicious hash browns are first parboiled, then shaken to season, before finally being roasted in the oven. The end result is crispy flavorful hash brown s.
- 4 servings
- 2½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5 medium potatoes), peeled and cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Put the potatoes in a medium-sized stockpot of cold water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil over
- medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to be sure the potatoes don’t stick to the bottom – about 12 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, watching to make sure the water doesn’t boil over, and simmer vigorously for another 8 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and have a roughness around the edges.
- While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drain the potatoes, then return them to the pot.
- Add the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and smoked paprika. Put the lid on the pot and, holding it in place, give the potatoes several good shakes. You want to rough up the potatoes and distribute the oil, salt, and paprika as well. Don’t worry if some of the potatoes look a bit smushed – they’ll all crisp up in the end.
- Scatter the shaken potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and cook for about 40 minutes, until all the potatoes are very crispy. Serve immediately, with other brunch treats like eggs, bacon, and pancakes.
Don’t plan to make these in advance – they’re best when hot for sure. However, they do hold their crispiness for longer than you’d expect, a welcome trait.
(Visited 250 times, 1 visits today)