- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 7.5 ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
- Spread 1 tablespoon olive oil evenly on baking sheet.
- Core and cut tomatoes in half. Crush garlic cloves and remove peel. Spread tomatoes and garlic evenly on oiled baking sheet. Roast in oven at 450-degrees F for 10 minutes, turn tomatoes and garlic over and continue roasting for another 15 minutes. Let cool slightly and carefully remove tomato skins.
- In a blender or food processor, add the roasted tomatoes, garlic and their juices, along with chipotle peppers with adobo sauce, and salt. Blend for a few seconds pureed.
- In a wide heavy bottom pan or skillet heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat until rippling. Pour in pureed tomato mixture. Bring to a low boil, then lower to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until mixture reduces and thickens.
- Let cool. Stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice to mixture to incorporate. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to a week until ready to serve.
(Visited 38 times, 1 visits today)